Magic of the Body
Increase awareness about the hard work our bodies do.
Show gratitude to our bodies.
Identify ways to care for our bodies.
Express gratitude to those who help us to care for our bodies (service extension).
Increasing awareness about how our bodies work widens our perspective, so we can discover and appreciate good things about ourselves, especially the smallest, often overlooked parts, such as eyelashes or fingernails. Building positive regard for our bodies improves our mental and physical health.
Widening our perspectives by discovering and expressing gratitude to often overlooked, yet important parts of our bodies.
Write a peace and kindness poem to an adult in your school who helps you care for your body.
- Self-Reflect & Brainstorm: Remind students that one way to show appreciation for the magic of the human body is by taking care of it. Show students these pictures of school helpers who help them take care of their bodies, brains, and minds. Ask students to name who at school helps them to take care of themselves by filling in the blanks of this statement for each picture:
The ____ helps me to care for my body, brain, and mind by ________.
- Engage in service: Show students the example of an ABC poem. Ask students to write their own ABC poem to the school helper of their choice by doing the following:
- Think of kind or encouraging symbols, words or phrases that relate to the person starting with A – B – C.
- Draw OR write the word or phrase in the shaded box.
- After students write their poems, have them deliver the poems to the person they chose to write it about.
- Reflect on Service: After students share their poems, guide students to pause, breathe, and notice their feelings as they think about what it was like to write and deliver the poem. Engage in a discussion using these prompts:
- How did it feel to deliver the poem
- How did the caring adult feel?
- Why is it important to show gratitude for our school helpers?
Prompt for a class discussion:
Why is it important to have community helpers? Why is it important to show them gratitude?