A Mindful Activity Jar gives kids a go-to when they’re looking for something fun to do. Decorating the jar and determining what activities go inside challenges them to think about the kinds of projects, hobbies and games they truly enjoy.
- Reusable glass jar, like a Mason jar or jam jar (empty and clean)
- Tissue paper
- Modge Podge
- Crayons or colored pencils
- Blank craft or drawing paper
- Pour some Modge Podge into a small, washable container
- Cut a piece of tissue paper big enough to go around the circumference and length of your jar
- Coat your jar with the Modge Podge using a paintbrush
- Stick your tissue paper to the jar then coat the outside with Modge Podge
- Cut out another piece of tissue paper for the bottom of the jar and use the Modge Podge to stick it the bottom
- Repeat with a second layer of tissue paper and Modge Podge, covering the jar once again
- Next, brainstorm ideas for activities you want to include in your Activity Jar. Using crayons or colored pencils, write them down on the blank paper. Activities can be anything you like to do, like hula hooping, painting Kindness Rocks, taking a walk, etc.
- Cut activities into strips, fold and put them into your jar. Screw on the top and that’s it!
Change It Up: Make It a Kindness Activity Jar
Ready to change up the activities in your Mindful Activity Jar activities? Make it a Kindness Activity Jar! Fill your jar with acts of kindness, like:
- Holding the door open for someone
- Writing a note to someone you love
- Checking in on a neighbor
- Sharing a toy with a sibling or friend
- Giving your mom or dad a hug