Nature and art make perfect companions in this sensory outdoor project. First you’ll use your keen observation skills to collect natural materials outside. Next, you’ll use those items to create a Nature Paint Brush. Finally, you’ll paint beautiful Kindness Cards to send to seniors, delivery people, and the people you love and care about. Let’s get started!
For the paintbrushes
- Twigs sized for paintbrush handles
- Found leaves, flowers, acorns, pine needles, etc.
- Small rubber bands
For the cards
- Ready-made folded blank cards or blank paper to fold into a card
- Paints (tempera, water colors, acrylics, etc.)
- Bowl of water
- Paper plates to use as palettes
- Take a stroll outside to collect natural items — like fallen leaves, flowers, pine needles — you can use as the bristles of your paintbrush
- Look for fallen twigs that will work as the handle of your paintbrush
- To assemble the brush, choose a twig and a few of your found items
- Put one or two small rubber bands around the twig
- Bunch together the items, then push them through the bands on the twig
- Dip your nature paintbrush into the paint to create beautiful abstract designs on the front of your card
- Once the paint dries, write a message of hope and love inside the card
Send your cards to nursing homes and assisted living facilities to cheer up residents. You can also give them to grandparents, friends, and family or drop them in the neighbors’ mailboxes. Leave one for your mail carrier, package and food delivery person to make their day!
Want to share your beautiful creation? Drop a photo in the comments below!